Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Things I Learned in Hawaii

As most of you know, I've just spent four months living in Hawaii with my sister, Lisa. It might sound like one big vacation, but it wasn't, though I definitely did have some fun. In reality, I was living in a suburban town, not near the beach, with only occasional access to a car, and without much cash. It was a lovely place, though, and I did get to enjoy beach days. I was very fortunate, and my sister has been exceedingly kind to me. It was a blessing to spend so much time with her and in such a beautiful place. And I got to play tour guide to several friends who visited while I was there. I truly love Oahu and I already miss it. The mixing and blending of cultures there is wonderful, and appreciation for the natural world is almost a given.

During my time on Oahu, I did do some legal work. I also spent significant time searching for a job back in the DC area. I took frequent long walks in our neighborhood. And I spent a lot of time helping my sister. During my first week, I helped her prepare her AP students for a big social studies competition. I graded a lot of papers. I helped chaperon junior prom, and I helped her clean up and check out of her classroom. I did housework and sometimes I cooked. During the final week or so on the island, Lisa and I had to pack her belongings and move them into a "POD" for delivery to the mainland. (Trust me, that was no vacation!)

I learned a lot while I was in Hawaii, and I thought it would be amusing to write some of it down. So here's a list, in no particular order, of some things I learned in Hawaii:

------------------------------------

I thrive in warm sunny weather and can apparently only stand the winter if there's snow and a large hill. This presents a problem in DC, and I'm going to have to figure out a way to deal with it. (Note to self: living in the desert is *not* the answer.)

Cats aren't so bad if they are silly like Quincy.

It takes a tough cookie to be a public school teacher. (I could write a whole essay about teaching in the Hawaii public schools, but then again Lisa could write a book.)

The more I like Hawaii, the more I also realize I miss Vermont. They are more alike than you think, at least in the ways that are important. Laid-back attitude, independent, similar skiing/surfing culture, emphasis on the natural world, liberal with a strong conservative streak, beautiful landscapes.

I like the ocean as much as the mountains. Sometimes maybe more, but probably not.

Slippers are awesome, and don't make me stop wearing them!

I love my friends. I also hate talking on the phone, so I hope they will forgive me for that.

I think I generally get more attached to places than I do to people. But the exceptions are important.

My sister is still my best friend.

I really don't like being without my dog, but I can do it if I have to.

No matter how much I love my Oahu, I can't make anybody else see it my way. I have to accept that others will see this place in a completely different way than I do. The best I can seem to do to communicate my Oahu is to take pictures and try to share my vision that way. (Corallary: I wish I had a better camera.)

Lizards are cute. Green sea turtles are gorgeous. Myna birds and chickens are funny. And feral pigs don't belong on soccer fields, even though they wind up there anyway.

I'm okay with not having a job. I don't define myself by my career, and I don't want to. I'm afraid a lot of people in East Coast culture aren't okay with that, but tough.

I need financial independence. Therefore, I need a job. So I'm looking for one -- anything that will help me pay my debts and make me feel like I am making a positive difference in the world.

I am a good helper. I like to help. Just ask nicely.

Swing/blues dancing is awesome in DC. And that matters to me. A lot.

I am a plumeria-aholic. I hope one day I can grow and cultivate them. They are the perfect flowers.

I want to travel more. I kind of knew it already, but now I am considering that I'd be very happy to have a job that involved travel. Unfortunately, that has to take back seat to the money/positive difference thing.

I can be Jewish anywhere, but it isn't always going to look the same. Going to shul here didn't work for me, and without other Jews constantly around me, keeping sabbath was difficult. But I pretty much kept the same level of kosher I had been, and I had my own (modest) Seder. My biggest regret with my Jewishness was letting my Torah reading slide.

My sister is married to a pretty cool guy. Just saying.

I can successfully talk to clients even if they have heavy accents and even if they prefer to meet in Filipino fast food restaurants featuring pork.

I can get by with a little help from my friends. You know who you are.

My sister is awesome. But I knew that already.

I like some kinds of raw fish, if prepared well. Fortunately I get to say "no thank you" to squid, by virtue of that kosher thing.

I would strongly prefer not to live without Trader Joe's. But it's nice to have a year round farmer's market.

Tsunamis can be only 2 or 3 feet high. Also, the plot of The Poseidon Adventure is total nonsense.

I now know a lot about Hawaiian History and culture, but not as much as Lisa does.

I don't like weeding the akulikuli.

I need to learn to swim better.

I would like to have a better camera because I really do like photography.